Nonimmigrant visas B1/B2 assumes only nonimmigrant intents

We keep focusing on the U.S. immigration law issues.

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 provides for immigration and non-immigration visas.

A lot of questions raised about one most common visa type which is frequently used to visit the United States. We would talk about B visas, also known as “visitor’s” visa, purposed for short period of stay.

That visa category includes business/B1 and tourist visa/B2. In general, business visa-B1 implies traveling to the U.S. for business negotiations and taking part in conferences while the latter entitles to traveling as a tourist.

B visas are issued by the U.S. consulates, if the petitioner applies for visa outside the U.S. and USCIS in case of changing visa status while staying in the United States.

The most important part about B visas is that a U.S. consular officer treats every applicant as a potential immigrant.

Let’s assume a person after traveling to the United States on B1/B2 visa entered into a marriage with U.S. citizen for purposes of evading green card requirements. By doing that the petitioner will be subjected to deeper scrutiny considering that he or she mislead consular officer while applying for visitor’s visa. Marriage contracted under such circumstances will be considered as a sham marriage a priori.

Consideration of adjustment of status may be resulted into refusal to grant a benefit with further criminal prosecution of an applicant and U.S. citizen.

Secondly, as noticed early visitor’s visa entitled to a short period of stay which is not exceeds 180 days, assuming that visitor should leave the United States prior to a final date.

Violation of requirement may entail severe entry restrictions and future visa refusals.

We recommend you to follow every U.S. immigration law rule if you looking to stay in the U.S. permanently.